In current economic environment power energy sector is the most stable industrial branch. With the growth of rates, the problems of energy savings both at large enterprises and in the areas of small and medium-sized businesses are becoming urgent. In this regard, the need for power engineering specialists is increasing from year to year.
Any company, organization, firm, even a small one, has to address its own heat and electricity supply issues and have a position of a specialist, who is able to cope with these responsibilities. The Graduates of power engineering institute are such specialists. They are always in demand and are employed on highly-paid positions.
Power engineering Institute is one of the youngest in the university. It was established by the Rector's order number 4/285 of 19 October 2005 as a Power Engineering Faculty in response to acute demand of the region in such professions as electrical engineer or heat power engineer. In February 2011, the faculty received the status of Power Engineering Institute.
Initially the faculty included three departments: "Electric technology and Automation", "Electric Power Engineering" and "Heat Power Engineering", providing training in three specialties: "Heat Power Engineering", "Electric Power supply" and "Electric drive and automation of industrial installations and technological complexes".
Departments, currently incorporated into the Institute:
- Department of "Electric Power Engineering" was established the rector’s order in 2004. The Department separated from the Department of Electrical Engineering and Automation. Department Head – Mikhail Nikitovich Nesterov.
- Department of "Electrical engineering and automation". Department of "Electrical Engineering and Automation" was formed in 1998: based on the merger between the department of electrical engineering, which had been separated from the Department of Automation of technological processes (ATP) in 1988, and the Department of Automation, which had been separated from out from the chair of the ATP in 1994 Head of the Department - Semernin Andrey Nikolaevich .
- Department of "Heat Power engineering". In 1973 at Belgorod State Technological Institute of Construction Materials named after Grishmanov a Department of processes and devices for chemical technology was established, its first head was Professor, Ph.D. Peter Fedorovich Balakin. Now the head of the department is Kozhevnikov Vladimir Pavlovich .
- Department of "Physics" refers to general education. Department head - Kornilov Andrey Viktorovich.
Currently, the departments of Power Engineering Institute provide the following courses:
Specialist level programs (engineer):
- 140105.65 – "Heat Power engineering";
- 140211.65 – "Electric power supply";
- 140604.65 – "Electric drive and automation of industrial units and technological complexes".
- 130302.62 (140400.62) – "Power and Electrical Engineering", training profiles:
– "Electric power supply";
– "Alternative and renewable energy sources";
– "Electric drive and automation".
- 130301.62 (140100.62) – "Heat power engineering and heat transfer", training profiles:
– "Heat Power engineering";
– "Power supply of enterprises";
– "Economics and Management in heat power engineering companies".
Master courses :
- 130301.68 (140100.68) – "Heat power engineering and heat technology";
- 130302.68 (140400.68) – "Electrical Power Industry and Electrical Engineering ".
The above courses conform to priority areas of upgrading and technological development of Russia economy, approved by the Government of the Russian Federation № 1095 of December 22, 2011, which allows to award President’s and Government personal designated Scholarships to our students.
Areas of research activity:
Main areas of scientific activity at the department of "Electric Power Engineering":
- theoretical and calculation study of problems on enhancing of convergence of iterative methods for calculating power supply systems with inhomogeneous electric networks 6-20 kW ;
- theoretical and computational studies of reliability of systems for electric power supply and electrical equipment;
- theoretical and calculation studies of optimization techniques of power and energy losses in electric supply systems;
- decrease of energy losses in AC drive for industrial enterprises;
- development of theoretical foundations and principles of electric AC and DC drive.
Main areas of scientific activity at "Heat power engineering" department are as follows:
- energy audit , optimization and energy saving in thermal energy, its generation, transportation, distribution and consumption at public utilities and industry;
- power saving water heaters and power Technology treatment of industrial gases;
- mathematical modeling of combustion and heat exchange in industrial furnaces and combustion appliances;
- energotechnological analysis of production processes related to building materials manufacture as complex thermal processing systems.
Areas of scientific research at "Physics" department:
- energy saving in machine building and construction industry;
- physical and physico-chemical activation of components of raw mixes of efficient materials;
- development of energy saving technologies for industry and agriculture with the use of microwave radiation;
- innovative computer technologies in teaching physics;
- study of ionic and molecular mobility and properties nano-capillar liquids in aluminosilicates;
- study of the influence of structure and composition calcium alumoferrites and cooling mode on the strength of clinker sinters.
Scientific activities of the Department "Electrical technology and Automation":
- development and research of error-resistant measurement techniques;
- making mathematical models to study heat supply for buildings on the stages of creating of automated individual heating stations and development of control algorithms to control energy efficient engineering systems in buildings;
- development of automated process control systems heat various buildings on the basis of modern energy efficient equipment;
- development of mathematical models to study the features of technological objects in dynamic types of impacts;
- development of numerical methods for solving boundary value problems- applied to the boundary conditions at infinity (outer edge tasks);
- instrumental examination of different objects using modern portable devices.
Departments of the Institute are using up-to-date teaching techniques, research laboratories are equipped with microprocessor and computer technology. The departments comprise training and methodical offices, computer rooms, electrical laboratory, wind- solar plant, a simulator training field, duplicating a real residential estate substation. Students undergo part of the laboratory and practical training using state-of-art operating equipment of JSC "Belgorodenergo", a local electricity supply company, whose highly qualified experts are actively involved in the training process.
The institute has its own unique real ground electrical equipment with remote control street lighting through the Internet, on the basis of which practical and laboratory classes are conducted. This site is not limited by just students’ training, professional staff from "Belgorodenergo" come for advanced training courses.
Power engineering institute can boast itself with the studying the effect of wind, a solar power plant related to environmentally friendly alternative renewable sources of electrical energy, made on the basis of 2000 wind turbines and solar panels.
Power engineering Institute has a demonstration area for energy saving, which is the basis of the distribution of laboratory facilities at the Institute. Demonstration area for energy saving introduced at POWER Engineering Institute of BSTU is used in the training process. It is proposed to be installed at universities, schools, colleges, technical schools, industrial facilities. Multilevel automated dispatch control system (ADCS ), is designed to provide energy-efficient modes of heating systems in buildings. At the lower level ADCS - a local automatic control system over distributing energy through systems of buildings, at medium levels - specialized controllers, while the top level incorporates control computer based control room.
Virtual Tour (http://tour_ei.bstu.ru/) refers to some sites of Power engineering Institute - unique laboratory facilities, part of the demonstration zone, installations and the equipment used not only in the educational process for laboratory work and graduation projects, but to improve the skills of professional staff, conducting study tours.
Cooperation and career guidance activities:
Chair of the Institute successfully cooperate with JSC "IDGC" - "Belgorodenergo", its subsidiaries and a number of other companies, providing industrial placement for our students on a regular basis. Employers are interested in the graduates from Power Engineering Institute. Each year before the state examinations, many students find employment in this specialty.
On behalf of BSTU, Power Engineering Institute joined the community "IDC Holding partner universities" in October 2011. Thus, the Power Engineering Institute graduates are recognized by energy companies throughout the Russian Federation.
The institute maintains creative connections with related departments at Southwestern State University (Kursk), Ulyanovsk State Technical University, the North Caucasus State Technical University (Stavropol), Kharkiv National Academy of Municipal Economy, MEI (TU), as well as with research institutes such as the Institute of supervisory control in the energy sector (Novosibirsk ), "Proenergosoft" (Novosibirsk), one of the leading enterprises of Central Black Soil Region in the design and modernization of control systems of electric mining shovels - JSC "Rudoavtomatika".
The Institute collaborates with Kharkiv National Academy of Municipal Economy of Ukraine on electricity. Head of the department "Power" is a member of the editorial board of the journal "Svitlotehnika that Elektroenergetika" included in the list of special editions of Ukraine in the field of technical sciences.
Students are involved in scientific research through students’ design bureau. Powered by LLC "NTC Modern heating system", OOO "STC energy recovery". Acts Electrotechnical Laboratory .